The holidays can be a time of wonder and joy, a unique season that brings delight to our senses. We look forward to preparing for special events and festivities, spending time with those we love, and helping those in need. We may spend much of our time doing more for others and neglect taking care of ourselves.
Along with the many delightful aspects of this season come a variety of challenges. We can be overwhelmed by adding holiday activities to our already busy lives, or be lonely with the loss of loved ones, or be dealing with other stressors that make us feel blue. Whatever the challenges may be, often the last thing we may think of is to engage in a self care activity to help us manage these stressful times.
We are all aware of how too much stress is detrimental to our health and happiness. While some stress in our everyday lives is inevitable, the holiday season can kick all that stress into high gear. It is important during these times to find a self care practice you enjoy to bring down the engine throttle.
My unwavering suggestion is to try Reiki, a reliable, safe, and convenient self care practice that can be enjoyed by either receiving a Reiki treatment from another, or practicing self-reiki on yourself. Reiki is your Rx for the holidays, challenging times, or for maintenance to keep the good days rolling.
Reiki treatment offers a unique, all inclusive option for self-care. Here’s why…
- Treatments are relaxing. When we are over stressed, our nervous system dominance is in a ‘run for your life mode’. When we are mindful to relax, the nervous system shifts to ‘I’m all right’ mode. Equilibrium is achieved, and, consequently, we feel better.
- It is pleasurable. Neuropsychologists recommend one of the best ways to cope with stress is to engage in a pleasurable experience. During a Reiki treatment, you don’t need to do anything to enjoy the soothing, balancing effects.
- You experience something new. Your brain responds favorably when you engage in a new pleasurable activity–it boosts your energy level. Even if you have had a Reiki treatment before, your brain will still respond to the newness of the experience because each treatment is unique.
- You may feel a spiritual connection. A Reiki session may bring feelings of gratitude that calm your mind. You may find it easier to find inner resilience and experience a sense of peace.
- You recall healing emotions. Reiki practice ignites feelings of compassion and self-love. Learning to love yourself enough to practice daily self-care is not selfish. It is a way to cherish and honor you.
- Your body becomes physically engaged. During a Reiki treatment, you grant the body time to let down enough to stimulate your own self-healing mechanisms. You become an active participant in your own health and well-being.
- You establish a social connection to your Reiki practitioner. A professional Reiki practitioner genuinely cares about your wellbeing. When we feel cared about, the brain responds by releasing healthy hormones.
There is a wide array of self care options to choose. From my experience, I have found Reiki practice to be the easiest, fastest, method to facilitate a more well-balanced state of being.
A year a go I made the choice to rely more on my Reiki training for my own care. I committed to practice self-reiki before I got out of bed every morning. It wasn’t long before I experienced the benefits. I was sleeping better, made better life style choices, and discovered new inspiring opportunities coming into my life. Every morning now, I have something to look forward to—my Reiki time.
If you have never experienced a Reiki treatment, I encourage you to try it sometime to see how beneficial it may be for you. Also consider enrolling in a Reiki I class to learn a unique method of self care as part of your integrative health plan.
If you are interested in researching Reiki practice, I recommend reikiinmedicine.org. It is a notable comprehensive website to find credible information about Reiki practice, health benefits, and clinical research.