Welcome to this month’s For The Love of Health & Science, Lesley James, MD’s monthly link roundup.
This month includes: Vitamin D and its power against cancer cells, how the seasons impact gut health, and more. I also regularly share links on Twitter @lesleyjamesmd and the Lesley James, MD facebook page.
Links of the week:
Canadian Researchers Discover New Evidence That Vitamin D Shuts Down Cancer Cells
- Researchers at McGill University have discovered a molecular basis for the cancer preventive effects of vitamin D, whereby its active form essentially shuts down cancer cells. // Daily Health Post //
Toxin-Contaminated Fish Oil Loses Health Benefits
- Lower quality supplements (higher in toxic pollutants) can increase cancer risk. //News Center//
Analysis suggests variants that shorten life are being selected against
- Massive Genetic Study Shows How Humans are Evolving //Scientific American//
Researchers Track an Unlikely Culprit in Weight Gain
- An interesting study to watch. //NY Times//
Gut Bacteria Fluctuates with The Seasons
- The discovery, in a study of hunter-gatherers in Africa, eventually may help scientists learn how modern diets have affected health. //NY Times//